PERT Capsules Are Not Formulated to Be Added to Enteral Feeding Systems
PERT capsules are indicated for oral use and are not intended to be crushed or added to enteral feeding regimens2
- Enteric-coated microspheres may separate from meal contents in the stomach and not adequately mix during delivery to the small intestine3
- Some unprotected enzymes may fail due to prolonged exposure to gastric acid4
- Even when PERT capsules are administered in large doses, there have been no results of complete restoration of normal fat absorption3
- PERT capsules were not designed to work with enteral formula and have been shown to result in...
- Clogged feeding tubes5
- Activity that peaks after 30 minutes and wanes over the next 2 hours2,5
- Only a small number of patients experiencing normalization of fat malabsorption, with many requiring individualized therapy3
Current practices using PERT capsules with enteral nutrition have not been adequately studied for use in hydrolyzing key fats in enteral nutrition.6
*This study was funded by Alcresta Therapeutics, Inc., and conducted among patients with cystic fibrosis.