Patients and patient caregivers should review the following RELiZORB installation instructions before use.
- Set up the pump and enteral feeding pump tubing set per the pump manufacturer’s instructions. Prime the enteral feeding pump tubing per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove the RELiZORB pouch from its carton. Examine the RELiZORB pouch.
Do not use the RELiZORB if:
- the pouch seal is broken
- the current date is past the expiration date shown on the pouch
- Remove the RELiZORB from its pouch. Examine the RELiZORB.
Do not use the RELiZORB if:
- the RELiZORB is damaged
- the RELiZORB has been previously used
- Secure the RELiZORB to the end of the enteral feeding pump tubing set by inserting the outlet fitting from the pump tubing into the inlet of the RELiZORB with a twisting motion until secure.
FIGURE 1: Securing RELiZORB inlet to outlet fitting from pump tubing.
NOTE: Do not overtighten the enteral feeding pump tubing set fitting when connecting to RELiZORB. A small gap between the flange on the pump tube fitting and the RELiZORB is normal.
- Follow the pump manufacturer’s instructions to prime the feeding formula through to the outlet of the RELiZORB.
- Connect the RELiZORB outlet fitting to the inlet fitting of the patient extension set or enteral feeding tube that connects to the patient.
FIGURE 2: Connecting RELiZORB outlet to inlet fitting of patient extension set or enteral feeding tube that connects to patient.
- If a patient extension set is being used, follow the pump manufacturer’s instructions to prime the feeding formula to the end of the patient extension set.
- Set the pump to the prescribed flow rate between 24 and 120 mL/hr and proceed with feeding.
WARNING: If medications, saline flushes or other non-enteral formula materials are to be added, they must be introduced AFTER RELiZORB (i.e. between RELiZORB and the patient). They may be added to the side-port of a Y-connector extension set located between the RELiZORB and the patient as shown below.
FIGURE 3: Medications may be added between RELiZORB and patient.
NOTE: If medications or flush solutions are added BEFORE the RELiZORB cartridge, then RELiZORB, all tubing and formula must be discarded. You may re-start feeding using a new RELiZORB and patient extension set. Please follow Steps 1-7 above to re-start the process.
NOTE: If a second RELiZORB is required to be installed to replace an existing RELiZORB, use the following steps:
- Pause the pump following the pump manufacturer’s instructions
- Disconnect the current RELiZORB from the patient extension set or enteral feeding tube
- Remove the current RELiZORB from the enteral feeding pump tubing set
- Connect the new RELiZORB to the enteral feeding pump tubing set following Step 4 above
- Prime the enteral formula through to the end of the RELiZORB following Step 5 above
- Connect the new RELiZORB to the patient extension set or enteral feeding tube following Step 6 above
- Follow Step 7 above if a patient extension set is being used
- Follow Step 8 above to re-start enteral formula delivery
RELiZORB is now compatible with ENFit – the new standard in enteral connectors.
RELiZORB is a first-of-its-kind digestive enzyme cartridge designed to hydrolyze available fats in enteral formulas -- immediately prior to ingestion.
ENFit is the new ISO 80369-3 standard for enteral connectors designed to help reduce the risk of enteral feeding misconnections and improve patient safety. The ENFit connector helps ensure that connectors do not connect to ports other than ENFit compatible enteral feeding connectors.