The only FDA-cleared enzyme product to
Break down fats in enteral formula
What makes RELiZORB different?
Connect. Hydrolyze. Absorb.
Fat malabsorption can keep your body from breaking down fats which are important for proper nutrition and health. If you need help breaking down fats from enteral tube feeding formula, your doctor may prescribe RELiZORB.
RELiZORB is a digestive enzyme cartridge that contains iLipase®, which is the enzyme lipase attached to small white bead carriers. RELiZORB connects directly to your feeding tube and as the formula passes through, it makes contact with the iLipase, hydrolyzing (or breaking down) the fat in formula to its absorbable form (called fatty acids and monoglycerides), all before entering your body.
See how RELiZORB is helping a 17-year old student and lacrosse player living with cystic fibrosis
The symptoms and consequences of fat malabsorption
Fats play an important role in nutrition and certain fats are critical to growth and development. If your body has trouble breaking down these fats, symptoms can develop and will often get worse over time.1
When your body doesn’t properly break down fats it can lead to GI symptoms including:2
- Abdominal pain
- Fatty stools
- Decreased morning appetite
Over time, the consequences of fat malabsorption are significant and often devastating:3,4,5
- Weight loss or an inability to gain weight
- Respiratory issues
- Impaired bone health
- Intestinal obstructions
- Chronic infections
- Even death
- Sankararaman S, Schindler T, and Sferra TJ. Management of Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency in Children. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. 2019;34(1):S27-S42.
- Blaauw R. Malabsorption: causes, consequences, diagnosis and treatment. S Afr J Clin Nutr. 2011;24(3):125-127.
- Mayo Clinic Website. Cystic fibrosis: symptoms and causes. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cystic-fibrosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20211893. Accessed October 16, 2017.
- Kalnins D, Wilschanski M. Maintenance of nutritional status in patients with cystic fibrosis: new and emerging therapies. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2012;6:151-161.
- Dominguez-Munoz JE. Pancreatic exocrine insufficiency: diagnosis and treatment. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;26(2):12-16.